Sunday 3 April 2011

BEDA #3 Things What I Like

Since we'll be spending a lot of time together this month I thought I'd do a little round up of some of my favourite things.  I'm going to limit them to internety things for this post so expect loads of links and videos to explore. Tell me the things you like in comments.

Vlogbrothers!  These guys have to be my first choice. I was really unaware of the sense of community the internet could have before I found these videos. I had a YouTube account but wasn't subscribed to any channel. I didn't understand how it worked and how to get the most out of it. After realising that they communicated almost exclusively through written forms (texting, instant messaging & email) two brothers pledged to alternate making a video a day for the other. This started on January 1st 2007. They're down to 3 times a week now but still make great videos and a whole community has grown around them that has done some amazing things. I think I secretly like John better (shh, don't tell Hank!) because he's a writer who's actually really good. Here's a favourite recent video.



And the amazing thing is there is a follow up to this because the people who liked the video worked together to find out what happened to Gussie Manlove after her husband died...

My next choice feels like more of a confession. I really love watching some make up artists videos. I think the beauty guys get a bad rep on YouTube. Some people are just showing how much disposable income they have but there are a couple of professionals on there who are amazing to watch. I love that it can be art when it's done well. Like this video from pixiwoo.



Sam Chapman transforms herself completely to look like Pamela Anderson when she's finished. You might not want to walk around with Pammy make up but it's fun to watch!

Lisa Eldridge is amazing too. She's one of the most highly regarded make up artists in the world so it's amazing that she does YouTube videos too. She works on celebrities as well as high end editorial stuff.

 

Hopefully you're still with me! On to blogs!

I LOVE Hyperbole and a Half. I realise most of you have already come across this blog at some point because it's just so wonderful but if not... go now!

Margaret and Helen is hilarious. Posts are few and far between but worth waiting for. Margaret and Helen are two old friends in their 80's who write to each other. Commenters seem obsessed with proving that Margaret and Helen are just characters and someone else actually writes the blog. I refuse to believe it. They talk about American politics mostly and when it includes lines like this who can resist...

"Dear readers, In case you are new to my web page blog, I'll give you a little background. I told my friend Margaret that I thought Sarah Palin was a bitch...is a bitch." and of course the infamous annual 'Thanksgiving letter to the family'

Hooters According to Sauce is a really entertaining blog. I don't live in the US so I don't have first hand experience of Hooters but that's not an issue for me. I think anyone who's worked in the service industry will find something to relate to here plus the fact that Sauce is a girl with obvious intelligence and wit
make the blog incredibly readable.

And last but certainly not least there's The Intermittent Sprocket. My very favourite film blogger who's recently branched out to show off his considerable song-writing talents. His latest offering is a Damien Rice-esqe ballad about an imagined romance between James Bond and Oddjob in Goldfinger. Yep. That song exists.



These are just some of the internety things I like... there are too many more to mention. What are some of your best finds?